Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day! Somehow, throughout all of the madness and chaos in my life as of late, I found the time to do a few crafty things for Valentine's Day for my hunny-bunny-boo-boo-hubby... hehe.. Ok, so I promise I don't really talk like that... much ;)


I was so proud of myself for creating again that I just had to put off my textbook reading for a few minutes and share it with you guys!


Let's start with the 5-layer monstrosity of a dessert I created! Oh. My. Goodness. Seriously, guys... This dessert was SOOOO GOOD! 


I started out brainstorming a few weeks ago about what I wanted to do for Ryan this year. I try to do homemade gifts as much as possible. I thought about doing some kind of cheesecake, but I've done that before. Then I remembered this heart shaped cookie cake pan I bought at Wal-Mart last year on the day after Valentine's Day for about $4! But, I had already made him a cookie cake with it last year... That's when the ole wheels started really turning. I envisioned this crazy cookie/brownie/cheesecake extravaganza! It seemed so good and simple enough in my head that I just had to do it. (Isn't it funny how easy things always seem.... until they make their way OUT of your head?)
So, Ryan left yesterday right after lunch to study for a test in his night class, and he wouldn't be home until late so here was my window of opportunity! Little did I realize, it was going to take pretty much this whole time to finish this project! 
Enough of the dramatization... Here's the lowdown on what I did:
Layer 1: Chocolate Chip Cookie
I just used a roll of the pre-made Great Value chocolate chip cookie dough.

Layer 2: Cheesecake
This is where I really ran into problems. There are no pictures of the cheesecake layers AFTER cooking, because they were a DISASTER! First of all, they were very thin. Second, parchment paper was a BAD idea... Although it wasn't much better just using cooking spray on the 2nd try. Last, I just need to use a different cheesecake recipe if I ever attempt a feat like this again!

Layer 3: Brownie
I took the easy way out again and just used a brownie mix from a box. Originally, this was meant to be a 6-layer dessert, but after the trouble I had with the cheesecake, I decided one thick brownie layer was a better choice :)
Layers 4 & 5 were a repeat of cheesecake, then chocolate chip cookie on top. Between each layer was filled with whipped topping, which also went on top! So, to total it up on this 1 massive dessert: 2 rolls of chocolate chip cookie dough, 2 cheesecake fillings, 1 box brownie mix, and 1 large tub of whipped topping! Oh, and of course the sprinkles on top :)


I must also mention that I had quite a bit of help :)
Isaac LOVES helping me in the kitchen!

And this was what I had for dessert after lunch today!
I'm telling you... So. Good.


Ok, so that was my biggie project, but I also have to share the cards I made that are sure to make you smile. They are both adaptations of ideas is saw on blogs or Pinterest. Sorry for the poor quality pics. Ryan took them with his phone, and I didn't get around to taking my own or editing them.

From Isaac

... and from Me.
I know, I know... We're a real classy couple ;)






1 comment: